Maps of Cal-Wood
Cal-Wood is located on 1,200 acres of ponderosa pine and spruce/fir forest, at an elevation 7,800 feet, surrounded by the Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest. Over nine miles of hiking trails cover the entire property. Abundant wildlife includes deer, elk, mountain lion, black bear, bobcat, coyote and countless species of birds and small mammals. Cal-Wood is nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains 15 miles northwest of Boulder, just outside Jamestown, Colorado.
Cal-Wood is within an easy drive of the greater Denver-Boulder metropolitan area. We are located 45 minutes from North Boulder.
Driving Directions: 2282 County Rd 87, Jamestown, CO 80455
FROM DENVER / BOULDER
• Take Hwy 36 West (28th street) through Boulder
• From light at the intersection of Hwy 36 and Broadway, continue North on US 36 for 5 miles.
• Turn left (West) at Lefthand Canyon Drive
• Bear right at the first junction (Olde Stage Rd) and again at the second junction (James Canyon Drive). DO NOT go left over the bridge towards Ward, continue towards Jamestown.
• After 15 min or so on James Canyon Dr you’ll get to Jamestown. When you enter jamestown you will come to a stop sign. Please drive slowly (10 mph) as you continue through Jamestown.
• 1.3 miles past the stop sign, turn right on County Rd 87 (Balarat Rd) – It’s a steep dirt road, and about a 10 min drive to our gate. There are a few steep switchbacks. Drive very carefully and stay to the right as much as possible because there is a fair amount of traffic on the road. When passing oncoming traffic don’t go too far to the side because possible snow drifts (in winter or spring) may be hiding deep ditches on either side of the road.
• Stay left at the top of the switchbacks and follow signs for Cal-Wood. You’ll pass 2 gates on County Rd 87. One is a private residence, the other is Balarat Education Center. The third gate you will arrive at is the end of the road, and is our gate. You’ll see our sign. Drive in to the visitors parking and follow the lodge trail to the Lodge (about 1/4 mile). We look forward to seeing you!
If you’d like, you can follow these directions from google maps: Cal-Wood Directions
- Please DO NOT use a GPS. They will give inaccurate directions.
- Plan on a 45 minute drive from North Boulder.
- Cell phone signal will cease once you turn off US 36
- There are no gas stations after you turn off US 36, so please be sure to fill your tank before leaving town.
- If you are on your way and find the drive up County Rd 87 difficult, please turn back to Jamestown. You can stop at the Mercantile and use the phone to call Cal-Wood