This page is for employment relating to our summer camp programs. Year-round and seasonal positions are listed here. If you are looking for job relating to our school programs or other aspects of Cal-Wood, please click here.
Working at a Summer Camp is an incredible experience. It gives you amazing life skills but also requires hard work and a big time commitment. If Cal-Wood seems like a place you would like to spend your summer (or even your entire year) inspiring children while enjoying a beautiful mountain setting, read on to find out more about our available positions.
SUMMER CAMP DIRECTOR — full time year round position
Cal-Wood is looking for a fun, flexible, hard-working, professional summer camp enthusiast to prepare, run, and advertise our summer camp programs. Cal-Wood runs 18 sessions over 7 weeks of summer (plus 2 weeks of staff training) with 60-80 campers in attendance per week at Cal-Wood. We run three main types of camps: lodge camps that allow campers to sleep in cabins, eat in our dining hall, and enjoy more of a “classic” camp experience; tent camps allow campers to get more in touch with their adventurous side by sleeping in tents and cooking outside at one of our remote campsite locations 1-2 miles away from running water and electricity; backpacking camps allow kids to dive fully into the wilderness, hiking for miles a day, cooking on camping stoves, and carrying what they need on their backs. The Summer Camp Director is in charge of preparing and running a smooth 7 weeks of camps for over 400 campers and all staff members; delegating tasks when appropriate.
- Plan, organize, and schedule Cal-Wood’s 18 summer camp sessions
- Market summer camps to fill all camps (a total of at least 400 campers) through online media, flyers and brochures, presentations, summer camp fairs, etc.
- Recruit and hire camp staff including counselors, camp leaders, and a camp nurse through online media, flyers, college campus job fairs, etc.
- Organize logistics for the summer including ordering and organizing materials, organizing vehicles, radios, shower times (including other rental groups) etc.
- Help the retreats coordinator to act as liaison between Cal-Wood and groups renting our facilities during the summer season
- Keep Cal-Wood up to date with all social services standards for Boulder County
- Complete the process of getting Cal-Wood Summer Camps accredited through the ACA
- Run summer camp registration through CampMinder
- Distribute financial aid to campers in need
- Update documents including but not limited to: subcontractor agreements, participant waivers, medical documents, etc.
- Create camper information documents, schedules, cabin assignments, etc. for each of our 18 camp sessions
- Communicate with parents to answer any and all questions regarding summer camps
- Plan and execute 2 weeks of summer camp staff training
- Evaluate and give feedback to all summer camp staff
- Acquire permits for day trips and backpacking trips into local parks and wilderness areas
- Update online media including the Cal-Wood Summer Camps section of the website as well as the Cal-Wood facebook page
- Work towards reintroducing our CIT program
- Act as liaison and coordinate Nature Kids summer camp programming
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least two years of experience in summer camp management
- Ability to pass background checks
- Sufficiency in Google Drive including sheets, docs, slides, and forms
- Ability to speak Spanish
- Familiarity with ACA and their standards
- Familiarity with CampMinder
- Experience managing a staff of at least 12
- Comfort and confidence when speaking to parents
- Confidence dealing with adversity and emergencies
- Ability to think on one’s feet
- Understanding of risk management in an outdoor setting
- Competitive salary
- After 90 days employees qualify for 1/2 medical and full dental coverage
- Access to pro deals including but not limited to: Prana, Merrill, Outdoor ProLink, SmartWool, and more!
2 year commitment starting as soon as possible (preferably before September 15th but we will be accepting applications until the position is filled)
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
COUNSELOR — full time seasonal summer position
Intro: A counselor is the most important part of Cal-Wood Summer Camps. This position is designed for enthusiastic, responsible, driven adults who want to experience working and living at a summer camp in the mountains. A counselor is there to supervise and engage our campers, and create an amazing experience for kids of all ages while working with other staff members on community goals and cohesion.
- MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE
- be a positive role model
- risk management skills
- exhibit strong leadership and communication skills
- demonstrate maturity and a willingness to contribute
- share passion for the outdoors
- cooperate well with others (such as other employees)
- demonstrate patience with children and peers
- have experience working with children
- enjoy working with kids ages 8-17
- accept direction from supervisors and receive constructive criticism
- display an understanding of environmental systems
- be flexible with scheduling
- be able to maintain a positive attitude even after long stretches of work
Additional desired qualifications include:
- ability to speak Spanish
- wilderness medical certifications (WAFA, WFR, etc,)
- backpacking experience
- backcountry cooking experience
- archery instruction certification
- lifeguard certification
- first aid and CPR certification
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- implementing good risk management strategies
- encouraging participation from campers in all aspects of camp life
- leading games and other activities
- supervising of meal set-up/break-down
- connecting with struggling or homesick campers
- helping facilitate arrival and departure of campers
- supervising children during structured activities as well as unstructured “free time”
- sleeping in a cabin with up to 9 campers
- upholding Cal-Wood rules & regulations, and follow Cal-Wood’s policies & procedures
- responding appropriately to emergencies if necessary
Compensation: Pay will start at a base rate of $800 per month with potential increases depending on prior experience. In addition to monetary compensation, you will be provided with all meals (excluding days off) as well as lodging throughout the entire summer. OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS: Airfare to and from Denver International Airport will be included as a part of compensation. We will also be providing staff with first aid and CPR certifications for those who do not already have them. You will also receive access to certain outdoor pro-deals such as chacos, smartwool, outdoor prolink, prana, and more!
Dates: Training will begin at the end of May (exact date TBD) and the summer will run through the end of July (exact date TBD). You will be expected to commit to the full summer with at least 1 day off every week. This is a time-demanding job working 24/7 much of the time.
How to Apply:
We will begin accepting applications for the 2018 summer season starting January 1, 2018
Stage 1: Please submit an up to date resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you would be a good fit as a Cal-Wood counselor.
Stage 2: Once resumes have been reviewed, you MAY be contacted to fill out an additional application and provide 3 references.
Stage 3: Once applications have been reviewed, you MAY be contacted again to schedule an interview.
Questions can be directed to the Summer Camp Director at email@example.com.
CAMP NURSE — full time seasonal summer position
- Dispense prescription medications at breakfast, lunch, and bedtime on most days of the summer at multiple locations on site
- First aid for minor injuries
- Daily sick call—assess campers who are ill/ injured and determine if farther medical attention is needed
- Medical and medication administration record keeping
- Organization of all camper medical files and paperwork that is required
- Check in and check out of medications as well as creating a medication administration schedule for each camper that has medications or specific medical needs
- Communication of specific camper health needs (allergies, special diets) to the summer camp coordinator
- Assist in emergency situations
- Reports to health care supervisor and summer camp directors
- Colorado Registered Nurse License
- Have a current CPR certification
- Must be available the entire duration of our summer camps
- Flexible—able to adapt to changing daily schedules and environments
- Confident in medication administration
- Responsible, hard-working, personable, takes initiative
- Experienced and comfortable working with children and teenagers
- The ability to balance several different summer camps at once and keep their medications straight for each camp
- A car or other form of transportation
- $4,250 for the summer
- Room and board
- Children may participate in our programs for free
- Letter of recommendation at the end of employment
- Travel costs
Dates of Employment
TBD for the summer 2018 season
Please end resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.