Scholarships & Fundraising
Cal-Wood offers scholarship funding to schools through our Educational Assistance Fund to serve low-income students! Please contact us for more information.
We appreciate your commitment to the Cal-Wood program and wish to support your efforts in making the program a reality. To that end, we offer these ideas and sample contribution request letter to assist your fundraising efforts. Feel free to modify this letter to best suit your purposes and proposal.
Who to send a letter to? As many places as possible!
Sources that typically contribute:
- School District Foundations
- Major Retail Stores
- Auto Dealers
- Service Groups (Rotary, Kiwanis)
- Any major corporation in your area
Other possibilities sources to send proposal:
- Private Foundations- this is often a more time-consuming process. Check if there is a local Community Foundation.
- Local governments often have a Youth Committee that gives small grants.
Additional suggestions for your letter:
- Try to have a personal conversation with the main contact person- preferrably in person. They will often provide advice on the kind of information they look for in their decision making process.
- Send the letter with as much advance notice as possible, as the process takes time.
- Use school letterhead and have your principal sign the letter.
- Provide as many specifics as possible, especially regarding your financial situation and Free & Reduced Lunch numbers.
- Student testimonials and/or pictures are very effective additions.
- Make sure to follow-up by phone after you have sent the letter.
Other potential resources:
- Other Parents- perhaps certain families could contribute a higher amount to sponsor another child.
- Chocolate bars and other items for kids to sell
- Bake sales, pizza dinners
- A parent information night helps parents understand and “buy in” to the program